Due Date: 10.1 2020. Support available to NGOs (including civic organizations, associations, independent media, and similar groups) for nonpartisan programs in the following thematic areas:
- Promote and defend human rights and the rule of law
- Support freedom of information and independent media
- Strengthen democratic ideas and values
- Promote accountability and transparency
- Strengthen civil society organizations
- Strengthen democratic political processes and institutions
- Promote civic education
- Support democratic conflict resolution
- Promote freedom of association
- Strengthen a broad-based market economy
Grant amounts vary depending on the size and scope of the projects. Average grants are around USD $50,000 for lasting approximately 12 months.
Local, independent organizations working in diverse environments — including newly established democracies, semi-authoritarian countries, highly repressive societies and countries undergoing democratic transitions — are highly encouraged to apply.
Grants will not be provided to individuals, governmental bodies, or state-supported institutions (e.g. public universities).