Program designed to support locally led development, and empowerment of local actors to lead solutions towards development challenges around the world. Local USAID missions can accept and review meritorious unsolicited proposals, on a rolling basis, provided applications meet the following criteria:
- Contribute to the Local Works goals to advance locally led development and empower local actors to take the lead in addressing development challenges.
- Prioritize local leadership, local ownership, and self-reliance; creatively tap into existing in-country resources (including local expertise, universities, think tanks, associations, private sector, philanthropy, etc.); and have as their ultimate goal the sustainability of development results.
- Describe novel approaches to enabling local actors to lead the development process, going beyond and/or building upon traditional development practices.
- Clearly and thoughtfully articulate why the proposed approach is expected to yield more locally led and sustainable development outcomes compared to existing practices.
- Describe how learning generated through proposed activities, including through failure and iteration, will contribute toward better locally led development practices.
- Provide a realistic assessment of the resources needed to carry out the proposed approach in the given country context.
- Be submitted by one or more eligible entities, including small local, international, and U.S.-based non-governmental organizations (NGOs), educational institutions, and other small entities that have received less than a total of $5,000,000 in direct USAID funding over the previous five years.
USAID Mission Locations Worldwide
Unsolicited Proposal/Application Review Process