Closing Date 8.1 2020. Since October 2015, The Studios at MASS MoCA (North Adams, Massachusetts, U.S.) have hosted over 500 artists and writers for residencies up to 8 weeks.
Hosted by the Assets for Artists program, selected artists receive private studio space on MASS MoCA’s campus, newly renovated housing, free access to the museum’s galleries throughout the residency, shared use of printmaking and weaving equipment, optional financial and business coaching from Assets for Artists staff, and a daily group meal.
- A private studio in attractive space on MASS MoCA’s re-purposed mill campus, with generous natural light, 24-hour studio access, plywood floors, a work table and chair in each studio, and shared slop sinks and bathrooms.
- Housing across the street from the museum, in newly renovated apartments (private bedroom/queen bed + shared kitchen and bath). These are lovely apartments, but note that it’s communal living (4 people to an apartment) in an active downtown location — sensitive sleepers be advised.
- One communal meal per day, in the company of other artists-in-residence.
- MASS MoCA member benefits for the duration of the residency, including free access to the museum’s galleries and discounts on performing arts events and museum store purchases.
- Shared access to a 22-inch Harrisville loom, 45-inch Herald loom, a Dickerson roller etching press, and a hydraulic flatbed press.
- Optional one-on-one artist-focused financial and business coaching through the staff of MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program, helping artists and writers in all disciplines strengthen the business side of their artistic practice.
The Studios at MASS MoCA receives support from the Barr Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts.