Closing Date: 7.10 2018. Contest aims to strengthen local networks of leading health reporters in Brazil, China, India, Russia and sub-Saharan Africa. Journalists from each country must be employed by print, broadcast, or online media in order to qualify. The contest is also open to affiliated freelance journalists with a letter confirming their work by an editor.
Stories must focus on key health topics in the journalists’ regions; and have been published, broadcasted, or posted online in Brazil, China, India, Russia, or sub-Saharan Africa between 1 January 2018 and 7 October 2018. Contest topics may include (but are not limited to):
- Reducing maternal, infant and child mortality;
- Reducing disease transmission from mother to child;
- Preventing malnutrition;
- Improving delivery of care and infrastructure for maternal and child health;
- Responses to the Ebola epidemic;
- Innovative approaches to delivery of vaccines.
Six winners will be selected for the program in 2018. Winners will have the opportunity to participate in a 12-day study tour in the United States, and to receive cash prizes as part of regional competitions to recognize high-quality coverage of urgent health matters.